Animal Wellness Center
POSSIBLE TASTY TOXINS IN THE HOME
Toxicity in pets is not uncommon. In addition to pills and medication, there are many tasty human treats that pose risks for our pets.
SLEEP AIDS AND ANTIDEPRESSANTS: These medications are often left out on bedside tables and counters where they can easily be encountered by pets. A kid proof cap is not a dog-tooth proof cap!
PAIN MEDICATIONS: Our medications like Advil and Aleve can create ulcers and kidney damage in our pets. Many similar medications made for our pets are often tasty and chewable and can cause the same problems if they decide to eat too many!
XYLITOL: A product used to make sugarless gum taste sweet. It can cause low blood sugar, seizures and liver damage. Quick treatment for this ingestion is important.
GRAPES/RAISINS: These products do not always cause a toxic reaction, but when they do, it can be serious kidney failure or death. For this reason, we recommend all animals be treated.
CHOCOLATE: The darker the chocolate and the smaller the dog, the worse the potential for toxicity. White chocolate is not a toxin.
RAT POISONS AND ANTI-FREEZE: Both products are very attractive and tasty for pets.
HUMAN FOODS: Stay away from onion powder, alcohol, yeast dough, coffee grounds, uncooked beans, macadamia nuts, and moldy food, just to name a few.
If you have any questions about possible ingestions, please give our office a call. You can also reach the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline 24 hours a day @ 1-888-426-4435 for a fee.
TOP 10 OBESITY RELATED CONDITIONS
Pet obesity continues to grow. These are the top 10 obesity related conditions our overweight pets are at risk for.